Privacy of your personal health information is an important part of our office providing you with quality dental care. We understand the importance of protecting your personal health information. We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing your personal health information responsibly. We also try to be as open and transparent as possible about the way we handle your personal health information. It is important to us to provide this service to our patients.
In this office, Dr. Meisels is the contact person for personal health information related matters.
All staff members who come in contact with your personal health information are aware of the sensitive nature of the information that you have disclosed to us. They are all trained in the appropriate uses and protection of your information.
We ensure that:
• only necessary information is collected about you;
• we only share your information with your consent;
• storage, retention and destruction of your personal health information complies with existing legislation, and privacy protection protocols;
• our privacy protocols comply with privacy legislation, standards of our regulatory body, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, and the law.
Do not hesitate to discuss our policies with Dr. Meisels or any member of our office staff.
How Our Office Collects, Uses and Discloses Patients’ Personal Health Information
Our office understands the importance of protecting your personal health information. To help you understand how we are doing that, we have outlined here how our office is using and disclosing your information.
This office will collect, use and disclose personal health information about you for the following purposes:
• to deliver safe and efficient patient care
• to identify and to ensure continuous high quality service
• to assess your health needs
• to provide health care
• to advise you of treatment options
• to enable us to contact you
• to establish and maintain communication with you
• to offer and provide treatment, care and services in relationship to the oral and maxillofacial complex and dental care generally
• to communicate with other treating health care providers, including specialists and general dentists who are the referring dentists and/or peripheral dentists
• to allow us to maintain communication and contact with you to distribute health care information and to book and confirm appointments
• to allow us to efficiently follow-up for treatment, care and billing
• for teaching and demonstrating purposes on an anonymous basis
• to complete and submit dental claims for third party adjudication and payment
• to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, including the delivery of patients’ charts and records to the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario in a timely fashion, when required, according to the provisions of the Regulated Health Professions Act
• to comply with agreements/undertakings entered into voluntarily by the member with the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, including the delivery and/or review of patients’ charts and records to the College in a timely fashion for regulatory and monitoring purposes
• to permit potential purchasers, practice brokers or advisors to evaluate the dental practice
• to allow potential purchasers, practice brokers or advisors to conduct an audit in preparation for a practice sale
• to deliver your charts and records to the dentist’s insurance carrier to enable the insurance company to assess liability and quantify damages, if any
• to prepare materials for the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (HPARB)
• to invoice for goods and services
• to process credit card payments
• to collect unpaid accounts
• to assist this office to comply with all regulatory requirements
• to comply generally with the law
By signing the consent section of this Patient Consent Form, you have agreed that you have given your informed consent to the collection, use and/or disclosure of your personal health information for the purposes that are listed. If a new purpose arises for the use and/or disclosure of your personal health information, we will seek your approval in advance.
Your personal health information may be accessed by regulatory authorities under the terms of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) for the purposes of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario fulfilling its mandate under the RHPA.
You may withdraw your consent for use or disclosure of your personal health information at any time.
Our web servers automatically record non-identifiable details about website visits and interactions. Web server log files are generated when visitors view our webpages. Our web servers log the following data about your visit:
• Your Internet Protocol (IP) address. For analytics purposes, we retain only the first two octets of your IP address to prevent the possibility of re-identification (e.g. 188.8.131.52 is stored as 38.112.*.*).
• Your device type, brand, and model.
• Your operating system.
• Your browser type, plugins, and version.
• Pages you viewed on our website and time spent on each page.
• URL of the page that directed you to our website, and in some instances, the search term(s) you used to find us.
• Language of your browser.
• Country (determined by IP address).
Our website analytics only use non-identifiable data. Our servers log data to:
• fix errors on our website;
• defend against malicious attacks;
• generate website usage statistics; and
• improve service delivery in general.
A cookie is a small text file that a website creates and accesses through your browser when you visit the site. Cookies are used for many purposes, such as to track language preferences, provide customized web page content, and display website navigation history. Cookies used by the us do not contain personally identifying information, and do not give us access to anything on your device. Data generated from our cookies is not used to identify visitors, and are never shared with third parties. Our cookies are also used to enhance and speed up the usage and functionality of our website. Any personal information that you give us will only be used to respond to your message and/or provide you with the requested service. If you do not wish to receive e-mail communications from us you may unsubscribe at any point by emailing our office.